Amend is a Anglicare Southern Queensland program. It is a voluntary home-based relapse prevention and parenting enhancement program. We offer 18 sessions of specialised, confidential counselling to pregnant and parenting women. We support those women who experience problems related to alcohol and other drugs and co-existing mental health problems. Services are provided by qualified professionals. Counselling and support is available free of charge to women and their families who live within the greater Brisbane region – from Burpengary to Waterford and from Wynnum West to Ferny Grove. We also service the Gold Coast, from Runaway Bay to Coolangatta.
The Amend program is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing under the National Illicit Drugs Strategy Non-Government Organisations Treatment Grants Program.
Supporting parent and child – Caring for kids program
In addition, we offer:
- 18 sessions of counselling and support to children and young people (0-18) affected by a parent’s or significant other’s substance use.
- Information about the impacts of substance use during pregnancy, breastfeeding and parenting and offer strategies to help you enhance the outcomes for your child/children.
- Information and education on building a positive relationship between parent and child.
Harm minimisation and brief intervention
We deliver individual and group-based harm minimisation education and information sessions. We also provide brief intervention to women and others who:
- Are pregnant or considering becoming pregnant.
- Are receiving services at other agencies.
- Are returning to the community following incarceration.
- Or just need some information to help make decisions about substance use.
Pregnant and parenting women
We’re here to help you, if you:
- Are attempting to reduce or stop your use of substances.
- Are concerned about relapse or needing support following a recent relapse.
- Have children in care or at risk of being placed in care, due to substance use.
- Are dealing with family and relationship problems relating to substance use, including parenting issues and relationships with children.
- Are experiencing depression, anxiety, stress or other symptoms and you are using substances to cope
The Amend program covers
- Information about the impacts of substance use during pregnancy, breastfeeding and parenting.
- Knowing what to do when cravings, triggers and high-risk situations make you want to use substances.
- How to manage difficult thinking styles and beliefs that lead to substance use.
- How to manage stress, depression, anxiety and other symptoms
- Ways to improve interpersonal relationships, communication and assertion skills.
- Creating social and community supports and finding substance-free fun, relaxing and creative things to do with your time.
- Managing your money and making wise goals for the future.
- Learning to cope with difficult changes and losses in your life.
- Looking after your body, achieving health and well-being, sharing activities and having fun with your children.
Amend at a glance
The Amend program:
- is a Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) based relapse prevention and parenting enhancement program.
- offers 18 one-hour counselling sessions in the child-friendly setting of the woman’s own home.
- offers 18 one-hour child counselling sessions in the home- school- or clinic setting.
- is entirely voluntary and free of charge.
Get in touch to book an appointment or find out more.
Providing service to people from Burpengary to Waterford and from Wynnum West to Ferny Grove.
Email: Use our contact form.
Phone: 1300 114 397
Fax: (07) 3028 4699
221 Logan Road
(Access via Toohey St)
Buranda QLD 4102
PO Box 8121
Woollongabba QLD 4102
Gold Coast Office
Providing service to those on the Gold Coast, from Runaway Bay to Coolangatta.
Phone: (07) 3028 4600
Miami Business Centre
2190 Gold Coast Highway
Burleigh Heads QLD 4220
5 Olive Street
Southport QLD 4215
Last edited on 6th July, 2016 at 12:40pm.